1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUp Quick Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Sketchup Tutorials' started by Crash, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

First Tip: Sometimes when you import a DXF into SketchUp, it does not come in flat to the Z plane. To save yourself some grief down the line, make it a habit to ALWAYS select all of the pieces of the design and "Flatten to 2D" BEFORE you start working the file! Not knowing this caused me to have to start all over with the RCPowers FF Gliders that I posted here. :D

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Good tip Crash. Here is my routine...

- Flatten to 2D

- Repair broken lines

- Make faces

If a piece comes up with no face after that, then I start lookin' for the culprit.

3. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

lol That is the same with the weld when I was messin with the pockets. I would select all the lines hit weld and if it didn't go. Time to find the culprits. :lol:

4. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Question: What is that weld actually does? in what situations would you use it?

Tony

still trying to get a handle on sketchup

5. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

It welds or takes all the breaks out of the lines. kind of the reverse of explode curve or segment I think?

If you click on the line. It grabs everything that you welded together with one click.

hope that helps. still learning myself.

E-T

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I needed to terminate a line on the y-axis (important line) on a x-axis line (reference line) that were separated on the z-axis. You can't snap since they are not on the same level or you'll get wrong placement. I didn't know what to do and then it just hit me.

On the reference line I made a face that is bigger then the place where the important line will pass. I then ran the line through the face. I selected the face and the line and intersected selected and... whallah, after erasing the out-pocking line from the face and then the face and then the reference line I had a line terminating where I needed it.

Yoram