1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Some new features in the next version

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by gasmasher, Jun 17, 2009.

1. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I have been working on some upgrades to the Phlatscript over the last few months and I thought I would give you guys some idea of what will be in the next version. There are many more things in the works but there must be a line in the sand somewhere.

Eraser Tool
    The PS eraser will only erase edges created with a PS tool (cut edges, folds, centerline, etc.). It includes a filter that can be toggled to select all or each of the different cuts individually and will only erase that type. Double clicking an item will delete all cuts of the type clicked. To delete all tabs you would select the eraser and double click a tab.

Centerline
    The centerline tool has been changed to select multiple lines by holding down the left mouse button. It also recognizes the shift key and will properly select all connected edges if shift is held while clicking.

Fold
    The fold tool has the same multiple selection upgrade as the centerline tool. Erasing a fold line will restore the original edge segments that were deleted when the fold was made.

GCode
    At the worst case GCode generation takes 1/3 the time and in many cases will be even quicker. G2 and G3 arc codes are now used for cuts when they are based on Sketchup arcs. The only way to get an arc in SU is with the circle or arc tool.

Phlatten
    A right click menu item called Phlatten has been added and works very similar to the Smustard flatten 2d plugin many of you already use.

Inside & Outside Cut

Properly detect the correct direction to offset the cut. Sometimes the current version requires the shift key to force the cut on the other side of the selected edge. The shift feature has been retained but should rarely be needed.

Linux Support

Added a flag to the constants.rb file that will force old fashioned dialog boxes. The current dialog boxes do not work properly under Wine. I do not have a Mac system to test but hopefully it will help with compatibility there as well.

Tab Highlighting

When the tab tool is selected all tabs will be drawn exaggerated so they can be seen when zoomed out.

Cut Order

Added the ability to select the start of a cut. For loops this can be anywhere not on an arc (except for circles) and for lines it has to be at one end. Basic tool path finding optimized for Y travel is now in the works and should alleviate the need to group parts before generating gcode.

2. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Way cool! Thanks alot for your work on the phlatscript! These improvements will make life muche easier! I am a SW engineer myself and I can really appreciate how much effort has been put into the script. My hat is off to you!

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thumbs up to you gasmasher, the improvements sound great! :D

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Wow Gasmasher,
    I know you've been working on the script, but I didn't know you had all that up your sleeve.
    This script keeps getting better and better. I'm so glad its open source.
    Thanks for all your work, it's greatly appreciated!

Shaun

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Good show, gasmasher, all the above items will make a good PhlatScript even better and a winner.

6. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Awsome Tim! The new features look great :cool: . I can't believe we get all these updates for free. You and Pete are doing stuff I never dreamed would be possible when I first got my PP. Thanks for all the time you're putting into the script, it really is appreciated.

Si.

7. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

The hits just keep coming :cool: . Thankyou

8. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Kudos Tim! As a programmer, I too appreciate the amount of work that goes into making these scripts.

Pete, Glenn, Tim.... Thank you all! Without your efforts, the Phlatprinter would be sort of useless. This is what makes it all come together!

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new code.

9. iflyos

iflyos Member

Great job!! I, too, appreciate the time and effort that goes into the Phlatscript!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Thanks alot, Tim! We appreciate your effort, jumping in there with both feet and doing all these improvements.

-Kwok

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Wow, those additions and changes sound great! I'll grab a copy of this upgrade the day it gets posted! :cool:

12. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thumbs up bud! :mrgreen:

13. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Sweet. The gift that keeps on giving. Nice choices for the next version ;)

14. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Indeed!
    Guys I've been beta testing the code for gasmasher
    , and he is really changing it up, and he's doing it right! We are seriously talking about A LOT of changes here to the internal code structure, making it much easier to understand, and hopefully mod / develop. All I can say is WOW.

15. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Great job Gasmasher !!

Will these be plugins, or is it "out with the old and in with the new" ?

16. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

Hello Mrs.
    I want to thank the excellent plugin.
    I intend to use it in the plasma cutting table
    It would be good if there was the possibility to start cutting off the line.

Excuse me any mistake, do not speak your language very well, so I used an online translator to this message

Congratulations.

Marco
    CNC Forúm - http://www.guiacnc.com.br/index.php

Original message.

Olá Senhores.
    Quero agradecer pelo excelente plugin.
    Pretendo usá-lo em mesa de corte à plasma
    Seria muito bom se houvesse a possibilidade de começar o corte fora da linha.

Desculpe-me algum erro, não falo muito bem o seu idioma, por isso usei um tradutor online para essa mensagem

Parabéns.

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Do you mean to offset the cutting tool? That's done with the value, "Bit Diameter". For example if you want to cut 1/4" away from the actual line, then set (Bit Diameter = 1/2").

18. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I think you nailed it, kyyu. The translation says 'off' the line but 'fora' means 'outside', if I'm not mistaken.

19. 3DMON

Being that he is using a plasma cutter he probably means to start the cut a little before the actual cut line. Something like a lead in line.

20. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

The beginning of the plasma cutting must start on the outside of the line (in another line perpendicular) to not damage the piece.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6248/cutplasma.png

Excuse me for the difficulty of communication.

Thank you for your attention

21. 3DMON

Marcomartim...
    Instead of using the inside or outside tools, you could just use the centerline tool. By using the centerline tool you can extend the path past the part. To make up for the offset of the plasma cut path, just offset the part in Sketchup before using the centerline tool.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.

22. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Looks like you all got it right (lead in line on the outside). I like the idea of having a lead in/out and will add it to the ticket tracker. I'm sure it will come in handy later.

I can have my wife translate for me if you have more ideas.

23. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

the problem is not outside, inside or on the line, the plasma needs to penetrate the material, and this causes a large hole irregular and distorted.

using a translator is "um pé no saco" ah ah ah :lol: :lol:

24. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

Hello gasmasher
    I attend the largest Latin American forum CNC.
    The Members of the forum use the rhinoceros and other software to design, Artcam to toolpath and Mach2 / 3 or MC2 for control of the machine.
    Started a tutorial on SketchUp and tried web plugins would be useful for a CNC machine.

I was grateful to find satisfaction that forum, and use the Phlatscript.
    want the Phlatscript (use) on my machine and go to the colleagues of all my forums experience.

I have many ideas and I appreciate the willingness of his wife to do this huge favor.
    I'm anxious waiting for the new version.
    Thanks for everything, a big hug

Original message

Olá gasmasher
    Eu participo do maior fórum CNC da América latina.
    Os colegas do forum usam Rhinoceros e outros software para desenhar, Artcam para traçar o percurso e o Mach2/3 ou MC2 para controle da máquina.
    Iniciei um tutorial sobre o SketchUp , e procurei na web plugins que seriam úteis para uma máquina CNC.

Tive a grata satisfação de encontrar esse forum, e utilizar o Phlatscript.
    pretendo usar o Phlatscript em minha máquina e passar para os colegas dos fóruns toda a minha experiência.

Tenho muitas idéias e agradeço a disposição da sua esposa em fazer esse imenso favor.

Estou ansioso à espera da nova versão.

Obrigado por tudo, um grande abraço.

25. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

marcomartim, do you use tabs on the plasma cut?
    If not, I believe you could "draw" the exact tool path, including the lead in, then apply the centerline tool. Currently this is buggy, but once ironed out should be exactly what you want. Currently the issue is that the "centerline" cut tends not to be continuous, but that should be getting close to being fixed. :mrgreen: