1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Steps I take...

Discussion in ''Aircraft KITS' you are working on' started by Watt_the?, May 22, 2011.

1. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you guyz.
    Both ideas are great and I will try them once I have first plastic parts.
    To be more specific, this are the foam molds on the way of making first plastic parts.
    The big part will be glued on the nose of the plane, but the small one will be detachable to allow access and airflow to the battery and electronics.
    So depending on the stiffness of the nose "frame" I'll have to chose... I can also leave it is from plastic, paint the mesh on it and have the top open around the "engine" for air flow...
    What do you think? Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

It will definitely look better painted and mashed, Watt_the?, don't leave it off!

3. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

That's the plan... and this will be my first attest to a hex camouflage.

4. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I had it for tonight... the rest tomorrow...
    In the same time... the new kid on the block... is getting ready :D Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Waiting for the silicon rubber to become solid... "Motor" and engine cowl...
    And... The foil I use to cover the plane is see-throw ( actually I had no idea that is transparent foil because the paper support is white...) so is not what I'm looking for as a result. I have to paint the plane solid white to take advantage of the see-throw factor. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Whoa! thoses molds look great Igor as well as the stickers
    You really have some great building techniques :good:
    Great Job!
    Mark and Trish

8. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you guyz for the kind words, this is a great deal coming from someone like you. Actually all the comments I received from everybody help me a lot.

Hey, have you ever thought about putting a laser cutter on the PP? I would love to be able to have that.

Funny story... I got my Colt router and to the first test I had a 24x48 sheet of 1/4 plywood. By mistake I forgot to lower the IPM from 200 so ... Unbelievable it worked, it did cut in no time the firewalls and landing gears for 3 planes... :twitch:
    Since then I lower the IPM to 70 because I don't want to force the PP.

The "motor" is to much for this plane, I'll have one from foam because when the top wing is in place you are able to se only 1/4 of it... so the weight is not justified. The nose is in place, it open for the battery access and will be just painted to resemble a grill. Underneath the cowl will be air scoops for venting.

Enjoy... Attached files [​IMG]

9. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Watt_the? you are really moving on this design! I love the look of that cowling it turned out great! :doubleup:
    Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your ideas and build techniques with us
    Mark and Trish

11. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I really like the vertical tab/biscuit joiner idea. :good:

12. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

13. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

The wind is just relentless, so there are no flights, At least not with the 42" WS - 15 Oz models. :oops:

14. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

And all things start lining up into their places...

Enjoy!!!

15. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

You're getting real good at those videos. Nice job.

16. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you 7up. I'm glad you like it.

17. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Good luck on the wind dying down...North Texas is a nightmare for wind. March through July, you might as well hang your transmitter up.
    San Antonio is marginally better but the wind here is still putting a damper on me testing my designs. :x

Your airplanes rock! Can't decide which one I want?

18. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

I hear you brother...

At least I flown them a bit... no loops or other tricks but they fly great. At the field people are crowding and everybody say that they never have seen a foam plane with warping wings and they love the Aviatic DI to. I did a grass field take off and landing, a parking lot take off and landing and even a hand launching. While the Aviatic has a good response the Fokker E III is the star of the "show". I had to add some strings to reinforce the landing gear on the Fokker E III, I show them on my video tutorials on my site, for grass landing.

Take care,
    Igor.

19. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

20. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thanks, I'll check it today at the store...

Take care,
    Igor.

21. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

22. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

So how come your using FF on your kits rather than depron or EPP?

23. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

First is the resistance and the price of FFF. Depron foam planes, if you crash them 90% of times are beyond any repairs, and if I build my kits from depron they would cost double at least.
    Profile planes kits from depron out there have the same or greater price with my full fuse kits, I guess this is because the deport is way more expensive than FFF. Sure depron foam is nice compared with blue or pink FFF but you can not beat the price of FFF.

And now, second generation of my kits will have 3D wings cut with my hot wire CNC, not flat like they are right now. I'm working on plastic pilots, dummy engines, machine-guns and wheels for them to.

I have some experience with depron foam... but the price of this plane I build back some time ago was almost $60... with the prices right now would be even more, and that just for the airframe.
    Just for size, on the wing you see a ordinary plastic lighter...

Take care,
    Igor. Attached files [​IMG]

24. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I have cut some full fuse kits out of depron and a typical 36"(ish) plane eats up about two to three sheets of foam. I don't know the FF is really that much more durable. The aerolite depron takes a pretty good beating.
    With my Skywagon, the flying surfaces and other depron bits eats up one sheet of foam.
    To me its worth it, the kits look much better and fit up nicer. Eventually I will hotwire my wings when I build a plane that can make use of profiled airfoil. The planes we are building fly great on just flat airfoils.

Oh yea, I put my vote in for an Albatros.

25. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Thank you for your vote.
    Don't get me wrong, depron foam looks better than FFF, it's white and strait comparing with the wavy FFF with it's logo design and black written text on one side. When it come to bending and shaping it FFF wins hands down. You have to know how to bend depron under hot water otherwise will crack despite the plastic film. And I talk about 3mm depron, the 6mm is even harder to bend and shape.
    Anyway, in my case, everything boils down to the kit price... One of my kits complete unbuild FFF and without electronics cost $24 plus $8 shipping in US, or around $50 prebuilt and $8 shipping in US. All what the buyer had to do , if he gets a prebuilt kit is very little. Same kit made from depron unbuild would cost around $50, without shipping and prebuilt version would get close to what is on the market ARF.
    Now if you get a $24 kit and spend few hours or a weekend to build and finish it... first is unique, represents your style and is one of a kind. Anywhere you fly it is guarantee to be a head turner.
    If you crush it and is a total lost, you loose $24 and some build time, but this is on the extreme. I had experience when I bent motor axle and destroy the prop, but the plane had nothing at all. Nothing special with my skills, so I can not say that I manage to save the plane because I am a great pilot.
    Actually I may be wrong in my approach so the bottom line is set by the signals I get from this market.
    In short period of time I will be able to know what the market wants. Maybe the depron foam is the answer, maybe prebuilt kits are the one to keep and drop the cheap version.
    Anyway, I'll expend the model pool to WWII and jets but all this in due time.

Take Care,
    Igor. Attached files [​IMG]