1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Future of Power?

Discussion in 'Functional Designs' started by jovian, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jovian

jovian Member

Could this contraption recharge your batteries or even power your house???

Stay Tuned to find out Attached files [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I'm tuned. lol. I have no clue where your going with this one.

3. jovian

jovian Member

This is my attempt to study the viability of what is known as an Atmospheric Vortex Engine (AVE). They have been developed as a possible green energy power generation. It is similar to the draft towers that run in Spain and the one being proposed in Brisbane, Australia with the exception that this is designed to be more efficient. This is because by creating a vortex it acts like a huge chimney allowing the effective temperature difference to be greater thus producing a greater temperature difference. Additionally, like hurricanes the latent heat as well as the raw temperature aid to drive the system. See http://www.vortexengine.ca for more details. I wanted to try to build one to see if the principle was easily implemented and to see if something could be made for field use to charge batteries.

Unfortunately, Its not and instead of getting a nicely formed mini tornado It was more like a steam vent. There was some rotation but not much. and certainly not enough draft to turn a generator. It may be possible with much more engineering work. I have included some photos, a video, as well as the plans I drew up in case anyone else is interested in giving this a shot. Sketchup8

Attached files Ave_Main.skp (325.8 KB)Â Deflectors.cnc (2.6 KB)Â Discs.cnc (14 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] Wall_and_Deflectors_x2.cnc (7 KB)Â

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

News Flash!!!

Man's house sucked in by homemade Tornado, News at 11

:D

5. Helno

Helno Member

I took a look at the vortex engine website and it looks like a good way to get a little energy out of the waste heat in thermal power plants.

It probably wont be very efficient because the temperature differential is really low. The process steam in most thermal power plants is condensed at about 32 degrees C under a vacuum to make the most out of it in the main turbine. There is still a ton of energy in that steam but not many devices can make use of such a low temperature heat sorce.

What were you using as a heat sorce? Something like this can only really work as a way to recover otherwise lost heat and doesnt really generate energy on its own.

6. jovian

jovian Member

I was using the rival skillet that everyone uses for the phlatformer to boil some water. Like I said earlier this was mainly to test the principal and see how easily doable it was. If it was going to work I was thinking of using the built up heat in the attic to run with some kind of piping to the outside for home use. For field I as thinking of building a plexiglass base to heat up. That was the idea but as this quick test showed there wasn't enough in that to make it practical.

7. Helno

Helno Member

I always wondered how much you could get out of a properly designed attic vent.

8. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Your totally ripping off the flux capacitor designed by the famous Doc Brown :D

Facinatating work. I'm all for breaking oil and coal dependency.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Same here! :good:

10. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Found a company out here in California that will install solar power panels on your roof for "free". The deal is you buy your power through them. The guarantee a fixed fee amount. One of the guys I know went from about $500/month to $100. They are in California and New Jersey right now....no I'm not associated with them so I don't get a buck....:)

PM me for the company info....until I have Marks approval I will not list the URL.

Check them out.....not a bad deal but you have to have a good credit score to get a contract.

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

WZ, I think that would be great to post public. We can research them as a group and find out if they are legit. If they are that may help a lot of folks. I live under a giant mushroom of oak trees who are protected by the lake association, so solar is out for me. But I am sure others could benefit from this.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish