1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Jakuta Project

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by MakingFoamFly, Mar 15, 2011.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looking good Nick! :doubleup:

2. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Looks great! Can't wait to see it fly.

3. jovian

jovian Member

Quick update. After my trip last week I became ill so did do much during the week. Today I finally got to the point of needed to resolder the bullets on my castle ICE 75 speed controller I am using only to find my soldering iron broke! Instead of buying another cheapy soldering iron I am going to purchase a good weller temp controlled one. So its going to take some time to ship but That will give me time to practice with the sim :) Other than that the control horns have been installed and I finally got some collars for the wheels.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nick I think from what you were saying the chat that you had a chance to maiden? Is it true?
    :good:
    Mark and Trish

5. jovian

jovian Member

I have finished jakuta, however, I have not maidened it yet. I did take it out before Lee hit here to axi it around a bit. Glad I did cause I found several problems. Mainly the main gear needed better attachment and the tail wheel flopped around too much. The tail wheel was bad enough that ground handling was virtually non existent and will need fixing before the first flight.

6. kram242

Good to find that out before a landing. Glad I didn't miss it :)
    Thanks for the update Nick
    Mark and Trish

7. jovian

jovian Member

Well the time finally came for the maiden. I know I have been slow to get there. The flight was longer than the video shows by a couple of laps. I edited it because my wife was looking for cars on the road and lost track of the plane. In any case It flies as good as anyone could have hoped for. Light and responsive in the air, it can float or be a rocket. Exactly what my design aim was!! Just one SMALL thing to improve :)
    [vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/30051438[/vimeo]

8. kram242

Great job Nick! The video shows it both as flying nice and slow or zooming around. Looks like its going to be an all around good flyer
    Nice one :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

9. jovian

jovian Member

As I promised some time ago I would release the sketchup files once I could see how it flew and since it flies great I am releasing the files. If anyone goes ahead to build this let me know and feel free to ask questions. Eager to see what people will do with this. The cnc files are set up for 1" foam with 1/8" bit feed rate is 300 ipm

Attached files HStab1_3D.cnc (138.4 KB)Â HStab2_3D.cnc (141 KB)Â Jakuta canopy.cnc (9.6 KB)Â Jakuta_Cowl_3D.cnc (662.9 KB)Â LandingGearForm.cnc (2 KB)Â elev1_3D.cnc (118.3 KB)Â elev2_3D.cnc (115.2 KB)Â jakuta2_SU7.skp (731.6 KB)Â jakutaFuse1_3D.cnc (1.7 MB)Â jakutaFuse2_3D.cnc (1.7 MB)Â jakutaWing1_3D.cnc (850.3 KB)Â jakutaWing2_3D.cnc (3.2 MB)Â jakutaWing3_3D.cnc (2.8 MB)Â jakutaWing4_3D.cnc (3.2 MB)Â rudder1_3D.cnc (121.6 KB)Â rudder2_3D.cnc (121.5 KB)Â woodparts.cnc (131.5 KB)Â woodparts.skp (61.5 KB)Â

10. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing Nick. Nice work! :good:

11. kram242

WOW! :shock: Nick this is incredible ! :doubleup:
    The amount of time and effort you have put into this project is absolutely incredible
    Its like having an entire 3D kit ready to print
    Great job Nick, thank you for sharing
    Mark and Trish

12. Emioo215

Emioo215 New Member

Thanks you much share us awesome project!!!!

13. jovian

jovian Member

Thought I would post the second flight of Jakuta and it is much longer than the first I promise. This is the first time I have flown since the last jakuta flight so its been several months. There was a lot of trimming to do etc.

14. kram242

Nice job Nick! :doubleup:
    You really get a sense of just how big an aircraft she is when your putting it on the runway.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish