1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Twins: multi purpose cargo plane

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by Evil-Tunes, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

LOL :D
    Nothin like a mullet!! :lol:

2. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I'm getting closer to getting her complete....I need to find my good camera....this is from my phone.

Attached files .jpg][​IMG]

3. kram242

Looking good Thewz!!
    Mark

4. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Added a new SU file V2.1 with less waveness in some of the lines to the
    top post.

Cheers
    E-T

5. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

She's a big plane! My old Kodak digital is going in her.....should have some nive AP shots this weekend.

6. kram242

Sorry guys we have been so busy lately that we have not had a chance to do the live build, I have been working on this file at nights and hope to do the live build soon.
    Mark

7. Evil-Tunes

Added :arrow: 1/16, :arrow: 3/32, :arrow: 1/8 cnc files W/SU Gcode to 1st post :ugeek:

Cheers
    E-T

8. kram242

Yes!! Cool Glen thank you
    Hope you guys are having a great time
    Mark

9. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

The major assembly is done. Now I just have to route the wires for the ESC's, hook up the ailerons, and install the VTail mixer for differential throttle.

I think I am going to modify the wing and nacelles to add tabs and slots. This will help with alignment and ensure everything is nice and inline. Attached files .jpg][​IMG]

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Looking good! This has been on the top of my list of planes of to cut out, but I have only managed to get one sheet cut out due to other priorities, but I am looking forward to trying this one out.

I think Mark was going to tab and slot the nacelles but has had other priorites as well, such as getting his new shop built.

With a collective effort we may well get this plane off the ground yet.

11. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Cool!

I got the VTail mixer installed and it works great....I had this complex system all ready to implament.....then I just plugged one ESC into the Elevator and the other on the Rudder on the mixer and plugd the mixer into the Throttle and Rudder. Worked like a charm....I did have to reverse the ESC's.....left was right and so on. Still need to get teh ailerons hooked up and all the wires routed.

12. Spadman82

Spadman82 New Member

i just dig every moment of that video Foamandtape!!!!! i have to build one now.

13. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Everything is setup and ready. The flight will have to wait till this weekend....got too busy to fly this last weekend.

14. Flashsolutions

larryross from RCgroups released version 2.1 of the plane in a sketchup file for us phlatheads.

I have converted it to phlatcode for 1/8" bit and started my build. I am adding some additional parts for the cargo bay and wing supports and a few tweaks of my own.

I will make the final 2.1 version of mine available after I complete the build since I am still making a few extra parts as I go.

If anyone is planning on starting a build before that and would like the latest version, PM me and I will give you what I have. We are up to 5 sheets of FFF with the recent updates.

15. Flashsolutions

Here is an update on the progress of my build, coming together slowly but surely. Added a cargo bay using the box maker posted earlier. Very close to buttoning up the fuse.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. kram242

Looking good Flash! All the tabbing looks great.
    I am wondering about the tabs on the cargo bay box and what this box maker is?
    Mark

BTW I just looked that the Sketchup file Larryross post for us Phlatboyz (super COOL of him) and I am going to stop work on my version, this new version that you have Flash will be perfect, thanks for taking the time to create the code for it.
    When ever you are ready to post it I would love to build this new version. :)
    I would also like to thank Glen for bringing this cool design to our attention and the work he has put into the this design, great community effort.

17. Flashsolutions

The SU file for Version 2.1 of the Cargo Plane has all of the pieces as of today, but I don't have a 3D view of it like you were working on. You may have to rely on pictures and the build log to see where everything fits together. I did not include a few pieces I used to mount the cargo bay servo. I just cut them from scrap by hand.

I thought the Box Maker was posted here on the forum some time ago but can't find a reference to it now. The website is http://www.rahulbotics.com/project-details.php?id=12. It is a handy little tool!

I plan on coating my cargo plane with liquid sheeting once it is together. My motors and speed controls came in yesterday and I have a DX7 transmitter so I think I will be able to mix the differential for the motors in the transmitter and not need the mixer circuit, we'll see.

Had Glen not brought this plane to my attention, I probably would not have found it. Thanks for getting us going on this Glen! And Larry Ross did a supurb job on the SU file. I took some of his tips from another plane and added a few pieces such as wing supports so that carbon fiber would not need to be used (or so I hope).

I really like the way Larry used the foam supporting the edges of the fuse. It makes the plane fit together like a glove. I will try to catch up on all of his threads. He has some very good ideas.

Attached files TwinCargo1-8Version2.1.skp (2.1 MB)Â

18. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

That program was mentioned here and we have tried it and it doesn't work, unless it has a new version. It makes two sides not correct. it was not a big deal to correct it but it was time consuming. I had to assemble the parts into 3d in SU and than work out the discrepancy and correct it. As I've said, no big deal, just time consuming.

Look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1169

19. Flashsolutions

Ahhh, you are right! The first box I made I had scaled incorrectly and I just made the corrections by cutting the tabs manually and then remade the box without testing it.

When I went back and cut it, it was all wrong!!! I then played with the boxmaker some more and discovered the fault lies in the auto tab width feature. I disabled it and set my tabs to half inch and regenerated the box and cut it out and it aligns perfectly.

I have updated the SU file to version 2.2 to correct the cargo bay box.

20. kram242

Sweet thank you again Flash!
    Mark

21. Evil-Tunes

I went to the LHS and got some carbon today for the wing.
    I used two thin pine boards across the joint for Strength and the Rubber Bands.

Put a 40" rod in the front and a 3mm x 1mm in the back and In the 3rd slot.
    Next is to work on the motor mounts and Wheels. Boy she is big :mrgreen:

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Flashsolutions

I recently built a BlueBaby for a fellow flyer which is very similar in size. The wind was causing wing flutter even with 3/16 dowel rods for leading and trailing edges.

larryross over at RCgroups posted an idea which I think might help. He made a 90 degree folded piece of foam 3 3/4 by 3/4 and glued it to the wing to stiffen it.

I just finished doing that to my wing and will be testing it this morning to see if it helps.

My SeaBB also has big wings but they are even a little bigger and because the plane flys so slow, I have not gotten the wing flutter with it although I have observed some twisting in the wind.

I suspect we may have similar issues with the twin. So be on the lookout when you maiden your plane.

23. kram242

WOW :eek: Glen, she's looking great!
    Mark

24. Flashsolutions

Here is an SU file for the nose wheel. Could be used on any plane, so I'll publish it separately.

I made mine with 1/16" phonelic but you could use 1/16" lite ply as well.

I cut this out with a 1/32" bit.

Carbon fiber tube and rod is used for the shaft and mount.

Note: I edited the gcode to set the cut depth accurately since the fudge factor built into the phlatscript is set for FFF and does not work with harder material like lite ply or phonelic. Depending on the height of your large roller, you may need to tweak the Z axis depths as this could be machine dependant.

Lite ply and phonelic do not bend like FFF and hence, there is a gap between the table top and the material at the bit.

1/32" bits have a very short cutting area, so you should zero the gantry with the bit at the top of the table then place the material being cut and raise the gantry to see what the value reads when the cutting bit clears the top of the material.

Using that value, edit the gcode to replace the Z axis values and then do the same for the tab depth.

I always place a sheet of FFF over the phonelic or lite ply being cut so that it helps move the material. Some of the guys here just put masking tape on it, but you need to put something over the material to allow the rollers to grip it. Attached files [​IMG] nosewheel_phonelic.skp (62.4 KB)Â nosewheel_phonelic_1_32_bit.cnc (4.5 KB)Â

25. Evil-Tunes

Good deal Flash thanks