1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

This is a test

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by ewo, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Please dont reply to this post as i want to be able to remove it when im done.

Thank you. Im working with tim trying to fix my pm's

Bruce Attached files [​IMG]

2. ewo

I might have found a problem in my computer.

I updated my adaware software before i went to all the problems of erasing my computer and reinstalling everything. This is what the updated adaware found.... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ewo

I am now rebooting, to see if it worked.

A worm? Now were did i pick that up from???? :roll:

4. ewo

One last thing....... If this thread can help anyone....... we will leave it be !

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool ewo thank you for posting this
    Mark

6. ewo

Ha! Its Fixed.

I just went and tried the wmv link that always kicked me off, It worked like it is supposed too. I didnt get booted and the file playes the way intended.............Im now going to try a few Pm's Attached files [​IMG]

7. kram242

Got your PM ewo so I am guessing its working fine now?

8. ewo

Nope, Im still getting booted, usually when i hit one of the video links. But if i clear all the forum cookies then relogin and go back to the link that kicked me off it work fine.

Whats up with that ? :(

I have started just clearing all the cookies when i leave the board so i dont have to the next time i visit.... It is better that way ! so the next time i visit im not booted as often ? :cry:

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble ewo.

Are there any common third party apps or programs present on all the different computers that you have tried?

With the computer actually shutting down it sounds like a nasty virus. Any burned CD/DVD/Floppy/flash drives you have shared between these computers?

You've probably checked all these things, just trying to get all the bases covered.

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

ewo,
    I let the moderators know about your problem. I figured I wasn't the only one who didn't know you were experiencing these problems.
    I really hope we can help you out.

11. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Sorry.....I read the don't respond to this I am just testing and didn't go much further...

So any computer you use will crash when you are using it and go to this forum? :shock:

I can honestly say that I have never heard that before.

I don't believe it is the site that is directly causing you issue or there would be more folks having issues.

Did you load your home and work PC's? I have seen instances where free software online work against each other. Malware detectors think that a virus scanner is a worm and act to stop it casuing the virus scanner to lock down "afected" files which can be DLL's as well as other basic OS components. This can cause an MS OS to "abend" and reboot. You probably get a "Your computer has recovered from a major error" type message when you get back in.

Perhaps you can go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ and create a new virtual PC with just a clean instal then try the site. If it works load one new piece of software you use and so on.

Matthew

12. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I suspect the main difference between this forum and most others is the embedded UStream.

Steps to isolate would be to create a bookmark to another page other than the index page in which no UStream video is present, for instance the new posts link is what I use to enter the site because the embedded UStream always makes me have to wait 10 to 15 seconds before the page unfreezes. During that time I cannot do anything with the browser, so I avoid the page altogether.

If your computer is crashing, I would tend to think it might be a defective codec used to display the video, that is assuming it is UStream inducing the problem.

I also use a proxy server in which I can blacklist any given webpage. It might be useful to diagnose your problem. You can download a 30 day trial at http://xk72.com. The proxy is called Charles and it is very easy to use. All webpage accesses are recorded so you can see what was sent to and from them. You can right click on any page or a whole website and selectively block access. This is yet another way to block UStream to see if it is the culprit.

13. kram242

Flash,
    I agree I think that this could be the issue.
    ewo if you go to the www.ustream.com page if he is able to view the embedded videos there.
    Mark

14. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I sent him an email too since he may not be able to get on the site.

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Flash, are you blocking the ustream ads? I don't have any freezing problems in either IE6 or firefox. Maybe a second or two for the page to load up. I just updated my host file today, which is the easy way to block evil stuff. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm Couldn't hurt for ewo to do this too. I checked on another pc with a fresh install of winxp and the ustream ads are targeted to my location; Wash, DC . So we each get different ads. If you click them, you do get a popup to another page. So that's maybe where the popup are coming from (ewo doesn't say that here, but during the chat he said he was getting popups and booted from the phlatforum).

-Kwok

16. kram242

Thank you wz, it never occurred to me that he was not able to see this thread :)
    Mark

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

ewo also said the popups he was getting were asking him to do a survey for/about the Phlatforum. That's a worm or malware.
    Has he ever scanned his flashdrive? He did say he was using it between all 3 computers.
    He also needs to download a FRESH copy of the FlashPlayer and install it over whatever is there now - doing that got rid of a lot of video problems on my computer, last month.

18. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

ewo, maybe you should dump ie, that isn't really a question btw! :) Go with Firefox, Opera, or Netscape even! I would 99% say it's all ie's fault, worm included.

Some of those worms are NASTY as Flash and Dorsal point out. I've seen one that was trying to pull up websites even after the PC was pulled from the network!

Best bet to try and attempt a rescue is using "spybot"
    Then try out using AVAST, it's free virus scanning software, I don't trust the ones you pay for lol!
    Then download and install firefox and use that as you browser.

I hope that helps out!

19. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

www.malwarebytes.org best free scanner I have ever seen

20. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Oh yeah, make sure you turn off system restore before you scan, it has caused me problems before, once you clean it you can turn it back on

21. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Yes I can and do block UStream ads with the Charles proxy... it accomplishes the same thing as a hosts file except I can turn it on or off at will and it can be browser specific.

Regardless of blocking, IE, or Firefox, the index page always freezes temporarily when first brought up. Usually when I scroll down to where the embedded player is present.

For that reason, I rarely go to the index page any more. I would prefer that the embedded UStream stuff be linked to another page so it does not interfere with load time for the index page but its not my forum.

22. kram242

I have changed the boards IP validation settings lets see if it helps
    Mark

23. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

24. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I think ewo is saying, that the ustream and pm problems happen with firefox. As far as the flashplayer, I think it's just a matter of downloading and installing it manually to get it to work with firefox. I've had this problem in the past.

On top of, antivirus and firewall, I use this program called "HijackThis": http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ It basically shows all the stuff that starts up on your computer; programs, services, ie plugins. It only takes a few seconds to run, unlike doing an actual scan of your harddrive. And I've gotten into the habit of running it every few days, even thought I haven't gotten a virus in a long time. But it familiarizes you with what's running, so when something strange shows up, it's easy to spot. Here's two screens shots of what it shows for my computer:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

This is the theory, you can skip this and go directly to the install directions below.
    Ewo wanted to know how to use the HOST file, so here is a quick explanation. When we want to find a web site or computer on the internet, we need to know their ip address. For example, 127.0.0.1 But that doesn't make any sense to people, as it's just a bunch of numbers. So we use web address like http://www.google.com. When we type this into the browser, the browser goes to a DNS server and looks up the ip address. But before going to the DNS server, the browser looks 1st at the "HOST" file to see if it's listed there. If so, it uses the ip address listed there. So one use of a "HOST" file is if the DNS server is down. But another is to block websites the you don't want your computer to have access to, for example ads or virus laden sites. You can open the host file with any text editor, to see what it is. But it's just a list of web sites and what it's corresponding ip address is. If you want to block the site then the ip address is listed as "127.0.0.1", which is your local computer. It's not there, so that website is simply not found. For example, something like this:
    127.0.0.1 fr.a2dfp.net
    127.0.0.1 m.fr.a2dfp.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net

How to install HOST file

To install the HOST file, you simply need to copy it to the right folder. I winxp it's:
    C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32DRIVERSETC

It's even easier because, they provide a dos batch file that does it for you. Just go to the web page: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm About half way down, download the file "hosts.zip" Or if you can't find it, the direct link is: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip Unzip it and just double click the "mvps.bat" file and that will install it. You will probably have to restart your browser for it to take effect. Basically, this will stop the ustream ads and stop your computer from contacting a huge list of bad websites.

-Kwok