1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

ToxicToast projects

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by ToxicToast, Feb 27, 2010.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

WOW Toxic !!! This is amazing and what detail :cool: !!!! You did a Fantastic job on this and I really need to talk with you on that program for the pockets, they look crisp and because of all the traditional cleanup required I shy away from the intricate designs! Once again thanks for sharing the pics and cant wait for the video! This would be perfect for our smaller indoor events!! :p
    Thanks
    John

2. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Got some video of it in action with a new motor choice.

This model and gcode is now available for download by Phlatprinter owners here:

viewtopic.php?f=251&t=2304

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

ToxicToast, Thats AWESOME!
    Mark and Trish

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

And who gives you the password? Mark and Trish?

5. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Yoram,

It's the same as for the Phlatboyz Phleet that Mark and Trish posted a while back. You should have gotten a PM back in August. It's in the same forum.

Tim

6. ToxicToast

Worked up an 80s style scheme on another one over the long holiday weekend! Simple and quick paint scheme augmented by some decent graphics to make up for my lazy painting skills.

This one isn't as light, coming in at 82.5gr AUW. Main difference, there is no inline spar, instead I went for a leading edge spar of flat carbon, and a carbon truss down the spine of the fuse to stiffen it up. Also, had some 3.7gr servos along with a HK Orange 4ch RX instead of the micro connector Spektrum on this. Total weight gain is 3gr. Test flight was still very positive, hoping to get more feedback at the next indoor on its performance.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ToxicToast

Kinda hammering out the kinks but I've managed to kit this Yak.

Attached files [​IMG]

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Very nice layout. I like the way you got it all nested in there like that.

9. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Woot! That looks GREAT!! Hey, have I sent you my address yet? :D

10. kram242

Ok ToxicToast, are you selling these yet? You know we have to have the first one signed to hang in the Phlatshop :D
    Well done brother it looks fantastic!
    Mark and Trish

11. ToxicToast

LOL, thanks guys. Kitting informally for now. There's a lot to this, as I am sure Mark&Trish would understand. This is 1/50th of the stuff to go into a phlatprinter but figuring out packaging and building the inventory of stuff that goes into it. Whew, tons of things to work out. I don't envy you guys and admire what it must take to inventory, sort, pack and ship something that has umpteenbillion delicate parts!

I'm still swamped from work and getting more so, even with the Holidays around the corner. I have to get ready for a trip to Germany for an indefinite time and all this RC fun might have to wait until next season. I'll work out a few more 'kits' in the mean time, just don't have much time to be able to do it.

Thanks again for all your positive feedback and encouragement!

12. ToxicToast

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the painters tape, Trish!

13. ToxicToast

21 In the house!

Attached files [​IMG]

14. kram242

Oh Yeah! :D Here we go
    Mark and Trish

15. ToxicToast

OK, seriously, why didn't I do this before?

MK2 is down for maintenance....Stepper probs, blown chip on the easy cnc, failed X pulley. Working to bring it back online with new parts. Figured, while I'm in there, why not tinker a little bit with some of the problem areas-before I start the MK3 build.

The Z gantry rods have a little play in them. Since they float up and down about a millimeter, this is causing vibration. I removed the top cover of the gantry and pushed 2 plugs of 6mm depron, 'bout the same diameter as the holes the rods slide through. This eliminated the slop in the rods.

Also, the MDF stepper motor mounts and screws are starting to show fatigue. And those annoying nuts CAd to them kept falling off. Went down to the local Ace Hardware and met up with a guy who was a machinist. Stepper in hand. I showed him the stepper and asked him to help me purchase a threading tap and some hardware to mount it. He sold me an Irwin/Hanson 14-20NS high carbon tap (#8035) and an Irwin/Hanson T-Handle tap wrench (#12115) and explained how to do it.

Took this home, and keeping the tap perpendicular to the hole, made three turns and then back out on the stepper hole. Remove the fragments and repeat several times until you have threaded it all the way. New machine screws fit perfectly. No more fussing!

Now, if I can just get the rest of the machine to cooperate.... Wish I had done this a year ago when I first built the beast!

16. ToxicToast

"Santa" brought my boys two Losi Short Course Rally and Trucks. These are zippy micro sized cars that run great on concrete and asphalt. They've been begging me to make a ramp for them after I suggested the idea in passing.

So far, the ramp is working great. Thought there may be some other parents out there who would like a quick and dirty ramp that will send these cars about 2.5 ft down range. Put a lipo in them and they'll go almost 5 feet (eek, repairs!).
    Attached files [​IMG] ramp1.skp (226.7 KB)Â ramp1_OG.cnc (13.7 KB)Â

17. ToxicToast

Phlatprinter upgrades, replacement parts and a little bit of LED fun...

Great to be back in action!

[​IMG]

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. ToxicToast

3D experiment with a model I made years ago. Did not use phlat3d, sorry...

Sockets were set to help keep the foam from skew, not sure if really needed.

However, the bamboo was critical. In my first test attempt, the pressure roller would actually catch on the lip of the "box" being cut. The foam softness and the foam support was not rigid enough to keep the roller from snagging it and it became a violent speed bump after only carving away about 1/4" of foam! The bamboo skewers fixed this completely and was an easy work-around.

After doing this I want a taller gantry, higher pressure roller clearance, and a 4" long tile cutting bit! :fugly:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. kram242

:doubleup: Looks AWESOME TT! You guyz are rock'in the Phlatprinter !
    Glad to see you up and running brother
    Way to go! :D
    Mark and Trish

20. ToxicToast

Finished this experiment today. Learned a lot and I think I pushed the 3D model to its limits.

Obtained a very high detail Walther P99 from another modo user. Built a quick block to represent the stock material and tapered the edges to allow the endmill enough room to travel. Sent this as an OBJ to ZBrush 3.5, which has by far the best .STL exporter I've ever seen and used. Loaded the STL into MeshCAM4 (trial version) and generated a roughing pass, finishing pass and waterline pass files. This produced awesome results but was a lot of headache as the program frequently crashed while generating the toolpaths. Toolpaths generated, sent to USBCNC on the machine in the garage and set up for cutting.

Set up for cutting meant hot gluing Lowes 3/8 thick yard sticks to a reasonably squared-up block of 2" foam. Taped 2 sets of BBQ skewers to the foam to help the pressure rollers not sink into the foam. Also, used Mike's ("Crash") technique of using socket heads for guides and clamping them to the deck to make sure the foam would not drift.

Made a huge mistake though: Very early on in the roughing stage I was chasing the spindle around with a vacuum and managed to screw up the X. I paused the run, set a bookmark, and realigned the foam back to home. Not before doing some damage, as you can see at the back of the weapon slide is where the bit went catastrophically into the material. Since it was only for a test, I wasn't going to abort and sacrifice all that good foam, I figured I'd run the rest of it through.

BTW- Bookmarks in USBCNC==WINNING.

The model is scaled about 140% larger than the real deal!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

22. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Nice job TT!

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool man! It turned out great.

24. ToxicToast

Finally got MeshCAM to generate the pencil cleanup with the 1/16th bit. Amazing what details it helped punch out in a 5min run!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Anyone want me to post the code (no model)? Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Wow! It looks like you can pick it up and pull the trigger :)