1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

WIN a Phlatprinter MK3 Contest -The newest Phlatboyz machine

Discussion in '* Contests * Win Cool Stuff!' started by 7up, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Any ideas for a cool, not too easy contest?

Post em' here!

The Phlatboyz have announced that they will be having a contest (contest yet to be determined) in the near future featuring their working prototype Phlatprinter MK3 as the prize, WOOHOO! :mrgreen:

They need help determining what the contest should be, so if you have any good ideas please post them here in this thread for them to review.

Thanks

-Buk

2. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

How about design an electric flight box. Call it the PHLAT PHLITE box, and since the prize is so valuable, let Mark and Trish have the rights to sell them.

Jeff

3. Hankado

Hankado New Member

How about a design for a PhlatWire. A CNC Foam Wire Cutting machine. Provide plans that people could cut from the new MKIII to make the Phlat Wire

4. crash5050

crash5050 Member

How about the 7th caller with the right answer to the "Today In CNC History" Question?

5. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I like the idea of designing "something" that Mark and Trish can sell. But something like a CNC hotwire machine would be too complex since it involves alot of other hardware than just the cut pieces. The PHLATPHLITE box sounds good, but may be too narrow of a subject, I mean how would you judge which one was better?

Over all I think a designing something to build contest would be great, I just can't think of anything to build that would be good.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I think Tim should get one sans-entry, for what he's done already with the PhlatBoard!
    As far as the PhlatWire, a hotwire needs to have a lot of tension on the hotwire itself, and I don't think there is any way that a foam structure could survive the bending strain. The structure could be made from MDF, but cutting that is in the realm for the MK2 - or the MK1 with "multi-pass" cuts. Hmmmm! :roll:

7. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Great ideas guyz. Keep them coming!

8. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

i think with all the skilled modelers in the phlatforum....you should have a "ultimate foamie" contest. whether it being a micro, or a blue wonder category....pick one, ether one i think it would bring sweet flying model entry's. the micro out of 3mm and the blue wonder set up from 6mm depron. also the winner would give the "modeling rights" to mark and Trish, to give back to the phlatboys. fellas entering could hand cut the entry as long as the shetchup file is drawn...should attract allot of fellas from rc groups to enter. give plenty of time for the entry's to build and submit the drawings and a you-tube flight entry video for mark and Trish for judgement. peace, randy.

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

any kind of contest that is subjective for the winner would be unfair in my opinion, the contest would need a clear cut objective, like the bridge contest.
    Some people would make a scale model and some would make a wild 3-d model, who's to say which is better?
    I would like to see something like build a crane that can lift the most weight at a 30 degree angle using foam gears and a foam crank handle.

10. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

jeff, if you reread my post, i said "mark and trish" would judge ther contest. randy.

11. rayclark

rayclark Member

I agree...I think it should be something based on it's ability to perform a specific function. I like the crane idea

12. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

This is a tough one. It probably is a good idea that the winner would be black and white instead of us choosing the winner. That would take the pressure off of us.

It would be awesome to have some of the rcgroups guyz participating in the contest. The more the merrier. Now, if we open up this contest beyond the Phlatforum, we could end up having to build A LOT of models. So, we have to figure out something there as well. Don't get me wrong, we really do enjoy building the models, it's half the fun but we would need to limit it somehow if we think we might get a lot of entries.

13. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I was thinking something that would be cut on the MKIII, or Mark and Trish's big machine. The PHLAT PHLITE BOX would have to be made of 1/4 mdf, hold a 12v motor cycle batt, have a convenient compartment for a popular charger, a place for a few tools, and battery storage.

I am all for another bridge contest. I really like cranes too, but the builds might be too much for Mark and Trish to squeeze into thier schedule.

How about a catapult that would launch a practice golf ball (the ones with all the little holes) the furthest. Have it powered by a specified weight or limited number of #64 rubberbands.

Jeff

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

I like the Micro airplane design idea, since this could be added to the phlat Fleet for Mark and Trish to profit in hopes to make a return on the expense of shelling out another Great Contest Prize :D Also I think there are more Model aviation subjects than actual engineers :p

Of course we would give up rights of the SKP and Code files and Mark could enter his custom placement of what ever radio gear would be required to fly this bad boy :cool:

Thanks
    John

15. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

the question would be how would we judge such a contest, Im sure they would all be GREAT!!! :p

John

16. Sixter

Sixter New Member

How about a simple just enter to win type contest :p That way anyone can enter with all having the same chance of winning :p I would love to have a Phlatprinter MK3 but due to my wife just finishing up Breast Cancer treatments funds or low. So, someone without a Phlatprinter might get lucky and win :D

Bobby

17. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Bobby, the contests are such that you don't need a PP. All you have to do is have the right idea and SU. Transfer your idea to SU and submit it and Mark and Trish will cut it on THEIR printer and you'll get to see it done on the PhlatShow.

BTW, welcome to the board and I hope your wife is doing OK and that she will get many more years to be by your side.

18. Sixter

Sixter New Member

Yoram, Thanks :p The Doctors say that to the best of their knowledge that she is now Cancer free. She has two more radiation treatments to do, one today and the last one tomorrow. Then she has a waiting period and they will do reconstructed surgery (2) It was only in her right Breast. Hopefully she will be finished by February 2012. We have been married for 37 years, and I Love Nita very much, She has always been supported of my RC Model Habit. I started flying CL model's at 9 years old, RC at 21 years old and now I am 57 and still loving it :D

Bobby

19. MErcolino

MErcolino New Member

I agree with Bobby. My divorce has sucked all my money and I am PHLAT broke but am dying to get a printer. I also have limited ability with 3D modeling so I am not a fan of submitting SKP files as I DO NOT know how to make them. Once I have a way to cut the models other than by hand I will learn...for now I am using others plans or having them custom made (by the way if it is ok I know a great custom plans developer - I wont post his name or website until I know if it is ok). Anyway, I like the idea of making some kind of project that does a specific task - so anyone with modeling skill and not necessarily all the cool tools could have a chance to win. This idea also puts the judging based on the completion of the task - not looks. So me making it by hand could have a chance against all you CGI experts out there.
    Well regardless, I'm new to the forum and I want to make friends not enemies BUT...I am going to do my best to win this one - awesome prize!
    LOL how about a contest for the person with the best sob story about why they can't afford one?? LOL I don't know mines good but Bobby you may have me beat...at least no one has cancer...sorry to hear by the way. My mom had it and is now 10 years in remission, there's hope!

20. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

um, you did notice that the last message in this thread was in 2011?
    and the Phlatprinter is no longer in production so winning one is going to be tricky (-:

http://openbuilds.com is the place to go. Get a Routy or OX kit and you're set. or just use the ideas to build your own machine using whatever you can afford.

21. MErcolino

MErcolino New Member

Uh no I didn't. Lol

Thanks. I'll check it out. Oops!

Matt